Get a Job! Fashion Gig Tipsheet July 2010 *UPDATED*
We at The Fashion Cult wake up everyday simply giddy at being able to work on something we are so passionate about. There was a time, though, that the idea of working in fashion was just a pipe dream to distract from a dreadful 9 to 5. It doesn’t matter who you are or where you are, if you love fashion it only takes passion, a little research, and a leap of faith to turn your day dreams into daily reality. But this isn’t about having your head in the clouds! Fashion is fun, but it’s also hard work. Whether you are interested in design, publicity, journalism, critique, styling, show production, photography, or any of the many fashion-related jobs, you will need to add dedication and perseverance to your interest. But you never really know, until you try… Here are are best efforts to help you along the way.
*NOTES: 1. Check back often as this post will change through the month; 2. Although we understand the value of a good internship you will not see them listed here in this space unless the position is paid or in some way exceptional. We have similar standards for sales jobs; 3. Employers feel free to send tips to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photographer for leading online fashion magazine
Leading online fashion magazine
New York, NY
Leading online fashion magazine is looking for photographers to hit the streets to shoot street style and trends. This is a great opportunity for exposure as we lead the category in fashion. Applicants must have a passion for fashion and a keen sense of style as well as a background in photography. He/She will be working closely with the Photo Director and Fashion Editor to ensure weekly delivery. We require a minimum of 50 submissions per week and are looking for photographers from multiple cities!
Please submit portfolio/clips or a link to your online portfolio for consideration to email@example.com!
Kemal+Karla Stylists and Interns
Los Angeles, CA
Kemal+Karla are a leading team of fashion stylists covering both coasts – Kemal is based in NYC and Karla is based in LA. Together they style celebrities such as Olivia Wilde, Zooey Deschanel, Julia Jones and Dianna Agron, magazines such as Blackbook, Interview, Nylon, Lula, Tokion, Italian Vanity Fair and advertisers such as Bloomingdale’s, Adidas, Ugg’s and Dooney & Bourke. They are represented by The Wall Group.
They are looking for one permanent part-time Stylist Assistant (paid) and two Fashion Interns (un-paid) to join the New York office. 3-4 days per week, some of those days may include weekends. Helping on set, preparing clothes, dressing models, ironing, steaming, organizing the closet, tracking samples, facilitating pick-up’s and deliveries, and more.
Must be motivated, confident, problem-solvers born with manners and common sense who know the city well and can receive emails and look up directions on their own phones when out in the field. Must be calm and discreet when dealing with celebrities and big clients.
Send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Web 2.0 Fashion Marketplace Summer Interns + FT employees
Web 2.0 Fashion Marketplace
New York, NY
The Venture: “Gilt Groupe meets eBay” Invitation only marketplace set to
launch Summer 2010
- Catalog Fashion Apparel
- Arrange photo shoots
- Create/edit promotional packages
- Provide editorial copy for the site
- Overall operational support
Full-Time:: $50K+, Sign-on Bonus, Annual Bonus, Benefits, Vacation, Gym
Membership, Subway Pass, Stock-Option Plan
- Undergraduate/Graduate with a 3.0+ GPA from a top school
- Magazine/Fashion/On-line Retail/Dotcom/Startup/Consulting Experience.
- Self-motivated, passionate, results oriented.
Location: New York City.
Send resumes to email@example.com.
CLUTCH Magazine Freelance Copyeditor
CLUTCH Magazine, one of the leading online publications covering fashion,
beauty, culture and entertainment news for women of color seeks a highly
skilled freelance copyeditor. The experienced copyeditor must have
exceptional grammar, spelling and punctuation skills. Must have great
people skills and be adept to working in fast-paced environments.
The team member will be responsible for accurate and timely edits of
articles, blurbs and features before publication. Must be skilled in
copyediting symbols, AP/MLA styles and be familiar with HTML and WordPress
Candidate will be able to work from home. www.clutchmagonline.com
Please send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Brides.com Freelance Photo Assistant
New York, NY
Brides.com is seeking a fulltime freelance art and photo assistant to begin immediately. The job includes but is not limited to:
- Processing images and creating composite images for web use
- Filling photo requests from editors for slideshows, blog posts and articles
- Maintaining the photo library
- Managing the contracts process for photography in Brides Local Magazines
- Working with the contracts department for image rights requests
- Creating job numbers and annotated PDFs of Brides Local Magazines
- Assisting Photo Editor with research
-Excellent organizational skills are a must
-Experience in Photoshop, Acrobat, and Microsoft Office programs is a must
- InDesign, Illustrator, and Peoplesoft knowledge is a plus
Please send your resume and brief cover letter to Cristina Lozito: Cristina_Lozito@condenast.com
Photo Studio Prep Stylist
Bluefly.com, http://www.bluefly.com, the leading online store for high end designer clothing and accessories has an opportunity for a Photo Studio Prep Stylist. This is a fantastic opportunity to work in a vibrant environment that fuses the dynamic worlds of technology, fashion, and the Internet.
• Prepare apparel and accessories for still-life photography. This includes steaming, ironing, stuffing, pinning, propping, organizing and repackaging product.
• Style products on and off set ensuring that they meet guidelines and aesthetic.
• Able to lift and move heavy boxes of 50lbs in weight.
• Provide feedback on current fashion trends, and review practice comparisons of on-line and catalog styling techniques. Discuss possible changes to styling and shooting of product.
• Able to prioritize work in fast pace environment.
• Maintain organized styling area.
• Assist photographers with special projects.
• Work with production department on checking-in and returning of samples as needed.
• 1-2 years experience styling apparel and/or house and home product.
• Should be extremely self-motivated and take instruction well
• Substantial knowledge of fashion is a must
• Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and the internet is a must.
• Must be extremely detail oriented and highly organized.
• Compensation package includes competitive salary, medical and dental insurance, 401k plan, health club membership assistance, vacation, and holidays.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Bluefly, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
JYP Entertainment USA is a thriving global entertainment company/record label founded by the Asian top producer and artist, Jin Young Park. With the company’s headquarters based in Seoul, Korea and its two global branches in New York and Beijing, JYP Entertainment is a continually thriving global entertainment company with top Asian pop stars including JYP, Wonder Girls, 2pm, 2am, JLim, Joo to name a few. JYP Entertainment is also listed as a high clientele of CAA (Creative Artists Agency), and in June 2009, JYP Entertainment and the Jonas Group signed a management deal for the pop sensation, Wonder Girls to open for the full Jonas Brothers’ World Tour 2009 and perform the infamous English version of “Nobody” and “Tell Me”. Wonder Girls have recently released their new single, “2 Different Tears” which they will be performing at their Wonder Girls World Tour this summer.
Qualifications / Job Description:
JYP Entertainment seeks a hard-working, creative and responsible stylist with at least a year of professional styling experience and/or hold a degree related to fashion design. Our ideal candidate must have articulate bilingual communication skills – both oral and written – be proficient in using design-related programs, have innovative designs, and be able to work well in a team. He/she must be someone who has passion for the entertainment/fashion industry and be willing to learn new concepts and skills. He/she must also have the ability to multi-task in a creative, fast paced environment on multiple projects with varying deadlines.
Please send resume, portfolio, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the “Stylist Position” title on the email subject line.
THE COMPANY: (www.pagedaily.com)
PageDaily is your online source for the best information in fashion, beauty, health & fitness, travel, epicurean, and living. We share our stylish finds at all price points on our website and in emails Monday through Friday—all with the look of a sexy print glossy. You can purchase instantly through our website and within emails and videos—see it, love it, buy it. We do the research so you don’t have to. And, we go behind the scenes to our celebrity friends and their experts, who share their personal tips and favorite products. With PageDaily, you can click to purchase, rate and comment, share with friends, and more. We would love to hear from YOU, so interact with us—go to Participate at www.pagedaily.com and ask us a question, tell us a secret, send us a video, submit a photo. And, for more fabulous finds, read our blog about what we are loving today. All of our emails are archived by category, so you can always find our tips and product picks. So don’t miss a single Page—subscribe!
Intelligent and savvy Video Production Associate needed for a new media, online, fashion lifestyle magazine.
Eligible candidate MUST meet the following requirements:
• Web savvy (web design skills required)
• Must have an overall designer eye
• NYC geography savvy & industry savvy.
• Self-starter and able to learn quickly in a fast-paced environment
• Knowledge and interest in lifestyles, fashion, events and anything relating to e-commerce
• Organized individual
• TEAM PLAYER – this is a roll up your sleeves environment
• Strong knowledge of social networking and Web. 2.0
• Willing to learn and take criticism
• Good organizational skills, multi-tasker
• Able to assist with social media efforts and outreach
• Run errands (the day could take you anywhere)
• Various office admin duties (includes phone, filing, accounting/clerical duties)
other additional requirements may vary depending on specific position
• Must be proficient in:
· Final Cut Pro
· Adobe Premier Elements
· Windows Movie Maker
• Must be savvy with
· Flip Camera
· Qoof (please make yourself familiar with Qoof)
• Minimum of 30 hours per week (prefer you try to be in Tuesdays and Thursdays for staff meetings…or more is great)
• Some tasks can be done from home
Company: PageDaily (online lifestyle, fashion & E-commerce website)
Position: Video Production Associate
Timing: Starting ASAP
Compensation: Salary commences with experience
If interested, please send to email@example.com
1) Formal cover letter
2) Resume (preferably in Word format)
3) Your availability during the week and potential start week
· MUST COPY AND PASTE YOUR COVER LETTER & RESUME INTO THE BODY OF THE E-MAIL, in addition attach your resume in Word format as well.
· ANY SUBMISSIONS THAT DO NOT FOLLOW THIS CRITERIA WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
MUST PUT THE POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR IN THE SUBJECT
ENTRY-LEVEL DESIGN ASSISTANT – Intimate Apparel
Code: JR / Entry Design Asst – StylCar
Organization: Winston Resources, LLC
Web Site: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: New York, NY
ENTRY-LEVEL DESIGN ASSISTANT
Entry Level Design Assistant for intimate apparel company.
Will work on lab dip approvals, follow up on production
details, update development charts, and communicate with
overseas. Photoshop and Illustrator
Please send your resume as a Word Document to:
Please reference the job title in the subject line.
One Response to “Get a Job! Fashion Gig Tipsheet July 2010 *UPDATED*”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.